Friday, March 24, 2017

This episode of The Greenbelt takes a look at March Madness. Plus, a bonus book review of an upcoming novel that's getting a lot of buzz from booksellers.


*This novel is due to be published May, 2017

I could hear a true crime podcast being played from another room in my house. I couldn't get the specifics, but understood it was about a long ago, unsolved murder. I thought about that as I was reading 'Broken River,' a novel about a nearly forgotten double murder in a little house by the edge of the forest. Of course it's difficult to sell a house with that kind of baggage, so it becomes a teenage party house, a drug den, a place for hobos to crash, a den for squirrels. Years later a little family from New York City is looking for a fresh start. The mother is a novelist, the father an artist, and neither is that put off by the history of the house. In fact, they're quite curious -- especially their 12 year old girl. Meanwhile, the internet has not at all forgotten about the cold case murder. Clues are still being posted, and one new clue hits a nerve with the killers, who'd thought they were free and clear of their mess. Will they again have to pay a visit to the little house by the edge of the forest? 

I would recommend 'Broken River' to anyone looking for a terrific mystery/thriller, or just a gritty novel that gets you into the heads of a motley crew of characters. I'm sure happy that someone put this book into my hands.         

No comments:

Post a Comment