Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Miki's literary interview

In this segment, Pete asked Miki some questions about reading…

What are you currently reading?  
Right now I am reading a pretty broad list of books.  I am reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.  It is a nonfiction classic that has been around for decades, yet the observations and advice are relevant for any interaction you might have today. 

I am also listening to My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.  My friend Helen recommended her, and I can see why. She is one of the leading novelists out of Italy. Her depictions of how complicated and special friendship can be are incomparable. I really love this book and her writing.

Lastly, I am reading a backlist book by Jojo Moyes.  I am so excited for the sequel to her book, Me Before You, that I just had to read something by her in the meantime.  That is why I picked up The Last Letter from Your Lover.  I just can’t get enough of her emotional and often times hilarious characters.

What new books coming out are you looking forward to reading?
Well, as I mentioned before, I am very excited for the newest Jojo Moyes, After You.  Me Before You was one of the best books I read.  It was so moving and has stuck with me years later.  I am beyond excited for the sequel.

M Train by Patti Smith is also on my most anticipated list.  Just Kids was brilliant.  I have never been transported so easily in non-fiction. If M Train is half as good as her debut, it will be a great read.

I am also DYING for the next novel by Rita Leganski.  I don’t know what it is about or what it is called yet, but I do know the manuscript has been turned in and I am scouring her Facebook and Goodreads pages for updates.

If you were stuck on an island with only three books, what would they be?
1)   Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides.  I have read this one about 5 times and it reaches me in a different way every time. 
2)   The Harry Potter box set…I know, it is cheating, but you can’t just pick one.  This series is like a bunch of puzzle pieces, so what is the point of only having one?
3)   Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.  This book has family drama, sensuality, comedic timing, and magic.  If you are limited on reading material, you might as well pick a book that has it all?

Choose one of the following:

     1) A golden ticket to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory.
     2) A tour of Paris with F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.
     3) A semester at Hogwart’s Academy.

As tempting as the golden ticket would be, especially since it would fulfill most of my childhood dreams, I am hands down waiting for my owl to drop of my invite to Hogwarts.  This is a dream that will never die.

If you weren’t currently married, what literary character do you think would be a good match for you?
I have had a thing for Mr. Darcy for a good 20 years, so he would be my top pick.  Dexter from One Day comes in a close second. And Pip from Great Expectations would be 3rd.  Basically, my fictional husband would be British.

What do you consider your first adult-themed book?
The first “grown up” book that I remember reading without a teacher assigning it would be The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank.  I think I read it in one sitting.  I could not put this one down.  Jane’s love life was a bit advanced for me at the time, but like I do with everything I read, I learned A LOT!




2 comments:

  1. Well, I know now just why you are my sister-in-law, and why I can call you my sister - Middlesex is my favorite book of all time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS the best book of all time. There are some sentences in that book that just move me.

      Delete