Monday, October 31, 2016

A review of 'A Man Called Ove' by Fredrik Backman






"Well, in Whoville they say -- that the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day."  Dr. Seuss

There is a lot of the Grinch in Fredrik Backman's 'Ove,' and also some Gru from 'Despicable Me.' In fact, as the the story unfolds, the only living thing that wants anything to do with the 59 year-old Swedish curmudgeon is the neighborhood stray cat. But as the chapters pass, more and more is revealed about Ove. His early days are harsh to be sure, but his path leads to a tender and bittersweet romance with the only love of his life. But his days, he feels, are nearly over -- until the new neighbors move in and run over his mailbox. She's Iranian and he's, well, Ove. His greatest compliment to anyone is "You're not entirely without hope." The new neighbor has her work cut out for her, but she's up for it even while several months pregnant. A Man Called Ove was so funny and touching that I had to put it down several times just think about it. So many customers and friends recommended this book to me, and so I'm recommending it to you. As I toured my neighborhood the other day picking up trash and guarding against possible malfeasance, I thought, "My gosh, I'm Ove." You probably know one too.   




No comments:

Post a Comment